United Way of Northern Michigan and the Northwest Michigan Community Action Agency (NMCAA) Celebrates the 10th Anniversary of Free Online Tax Filing Tool
More than 1.1 Million MyFreeTaxes® Users Have Received Over $1.7 Billion in Refunds Since 2009
TRAVERSE CITY (DEC, 12, 2019) – Today, United Way OF Traverse City announced the launch of this tax season’s MyFreeTaxes site. This marks the tenth year that United Way and H&R Block have partnered to provide free tax filing services. MyFreeTaxes is available for federal and state taxes in all 50 states and the District of Columbia for individuals or households earning less than $66,000 in adjusted gross income (AGI). The mobile optimized MyFreeTaxes site enables most filers to complete their taxes in under one hour for free.
“Tax season is a source of confusion and stress for most Americans, especially since this year is our first under the new tax code,” said Meg Havenga, Tax Program Director at NMCAA. “Many filers are worried they’ll make a mistake, won’t get their full refund or will pay too much. With MyFreeTaxes, filers have the support of a proven provider in H&R Block to reduce confusion from recent changes to tax laws and the support of United Way that assists people everywhere in achieving financial stability.”
When it comes to software technology and ease-of-use, H&R Block is among the industry leaders. MyFreeTaxes users get access to H&R Block’s premium product with enhanced features to ensure filers get every dollar they deserve:
- Ability to upload image of your W-2, allowing MyFreeTaxes to automatically fill in your information
- Screens for credit and deduction eligibility such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Child Tax Credit (CTC) to ensure filers receive their maximum tax refund
- Refund RevealTM shows filers how and why their refund amount is changing in real time
- Advanced functionality for those working in the gig economy or who need to include information regarding real estate investments, stock options or inheritance taxes
- 24/7 tax help within the software from a virtual assistant
Taxpayers earning less than $66,000 can enter their data through MyFreeTaxes.com, which links to a secure H&R Block website, making it easy to complete their taxes from home, at work or on mobile devices.
MyFreeTaxes is supported by United Way and NMCAA, and users can contact their local United Way for other local resources, or find ways to volunteer and further support their community. MyFreeTaxes comes with the same brand promise as all H&R Block’s products: that consumers are guaranteed a maximum refund, 100 percent accuracy and 100 percent satisfaction. H&R Block’s DIY products are based on 60-plus years of preparing income tax returns.