The foreclosure prevention counselors at NMCAA are certified by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA).
Certified Foreclosure Prevention Counselors at NMCAA may:
- Educate and help clients understand the foreclosure process
- Look at a family or individual's personal financial situation and budget to determine possible options that may lower monthly house payments
- Help open up communication with a client's mortgage company
- Assist clients while working with their mortgage company's loss mitigation department
- Help families and individuals develop a plan to overcome and resolve their housing crisis
- Refer clients to other services the agency offers to help them through hard financial times.
Services are provided FREE of charge.
Tips to avoiding foreclosure:
- Create and follow a budget plan to reduce unnecessary expenses
- Maintain open communication with the lender. DO NOT ignore the situation!
- Do not agree to any refinance plans or loan modifications that will not be affordable
- Make sure to open and read all mail/notices regarding the mortgage
- Talk with a MHSDA Certified Foreclosure Prevention Counselor to learn more about the foreclosure process and all options available.
Obtaining help with loan modifications should always be free of charge. No company should ever accept money for helping a homeowner out of foreclosure.
Call the local NMCAA branch office to enroll in Foreclosure education.
This page last updated on 7/31/2014.